Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of users.

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Fri Jul 2 14:41:46 UTC 2010

Jay,
On 2 July 2010 12:24, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Since then I have been trying to get an interesting USB Mouse problem resolved.
> However, after doing some research and poking around with Google it appears that
> a number of users have reported the same or sim1lar problem and there are a
> number of bug reports on Bugzilla. There are some fixes posted as well, however,
> there are reports of them not fixing the problem, as well.
>
> I have tried 2 different wireless mice and a wired USB mouse, while all worked
> under 08.04 they now fail under 10.04. What is happening is the mouse stops
> working and the display is completely locked up even a ctrl+alt+Fx key sequence
> will not work; so I can't try restarting X from a console window. The only thing
> I have found to work is to reboot the system with a HARD shutdown and POWER UP.

Probably not a "mouse" hangup but a proper crash. The fact that you
mention everything is frozen means this is not a mouse problem.

First of all, don't do a hard shutdown.
hit magic key (alt-SysRq) and enter REISUB to safely restart your PC.

http://fosswire.com/post/2007/09/fix-a-frozen-system-with-the-magic-sysrq-keys/
(and many more on Google for details).

Most likely even doing Alt-SysRq-R is enough to be able to do a
CTRL-ALT-F1, if X11 is the problem. If not at least you'll not be
trashing your file system eventually.