Sound Coming in headphones as well as speakers

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 31 20:05:31 UTC 2010

On 01/31/2010 02:50 AM, Jatin wrote:
> Corrected the Subject.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin
>
> Jatin wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Toshiba A135-S2386 laptop on which i am using ubuntu 9.10
>> since the last two months. Upon some update (i dont remember which one
>> as i do it weekly once) , I am getting sound in both my headphones as
>> well as the audio speakers of my laptop. The normal way would be get
>> the sound in the audio speakers when i insert the headphones.
>>
>> How to troubleshoot this ? Please help.

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

Then: Applications|Sound & Video|Gnome Alsa Mixer
Check your options; you should see options for the headphones (Headphone
Jack Sense, Line Jack Sense, Surround Jack Mode, etc).
Not sure which will be applicable to your system, but suspect with a
little experimentation you'll find the proper setting.

Added info:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting