32 or 64??

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Sun Jan 31 16:49:37 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:34:29 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Can we please avoid personal attacks here?  While it's true that Karl's
>> "advice" tends to range from just plain incorrect to the most
>> extravagant flights of fancy, that kind of name-calling doesn't help
>> the situation (and only makes you look foolish as well).
>
> Especially since Karl is right here.
>
> Have you tried using Wine on 64 bit? Some apps work, some don't.

How is that different from the 32 bit version?

> Flash?
> I don't know about *buntu 9.10 (I personally use 32 bit) but in 9.04
> installing Flash on 64 bit was a headache. Does Virtualbox still have
> problems with 64 bit?

Installing Flash in 64 bit is the same as in 32 bit. Just wait until
Firefox asks for it, select the desired flash player, and you're done.

> Now tell me, what advantage does 64 bit have? Sure, a user _might_not_
> have any problems with 64 bit, but then again he might. Why take that
> risk when 32 bit works fine?

That is true for all versions of all operating systems. So you advise
people to stick with Windows if that works, because every change _might_
cause problems.

Personally, I want to use all the memory I have to avoid using /swap.
The difference in responsiveness is certainly worth the 'risk' of having
to switch to 32 bit later on.

And just to be clear: the 32 bit version certainly is _not_ bug free.
32 bit advocators in this thread imply that it's a sure bet (like the
above "32 bit works fine"), but most of the bugs on launchpad count for
_both_ versions.

> The final straw for me is that many tutorials and guides directed at
> *buntu users assume 32 bit. The user saves himself quite a headache by
> stickin with 32 bit, even with 4 GB RAM.

Haven't had any headaches yet.

> I have a feeling that this thread has turned into another Karl bashing
> thread, and that's it. Karl is the new Microsoft now that Windows 7 is
> out and *buntheads can no longer complain that W1nder$ suxXx. Grow up.
> Give advice that helps the user,

The advice to ignore Karl is a good advice 90% of the time.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com