question about NFS entries in /etc/fstab

Johnneylee Rollins johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:27:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In an entry in /etc/fstab for an NFS directory should pass be set to 0,
>> or 2?
>>
>> I will be having a NFS directory mounted 24-7 on three systems and
>> occasionally on another. The NFS directory resides on a 1TB WD MyBook
>> World Edition network drive. I am inclined to say zero but am not sure...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jay
>
>        I am using in fstab 1 2 and it works fine.

James is right, using 0 is what you need.

Karl, you can't just say what you're using. You need to understand
what it is you are using, especially if you're going to help others.
Do you even know what the relevant numbers mean? I highly doubt you
have the same setup as he does, so unless you do and know what you're
talking about, please don't post. It only confuses them.

fstab man page:
       The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to deterâ
       mine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The
       root  filesystem  should  be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other
       filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within  a  drive
       will  be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will
       be checked at the same time to utilize  parallelism  available  in  the
       hardware.   If  the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero
       is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not  need  to
       be checked.

OT: What if Karl tries to support others in real life? (I.e.,
neighbors, friends, etc.) I shudder at the thought.

~SpaceGhost