How to Upgrade Grub2 ?

tortise at paradise.net.nz tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 28 02:27:30 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Goh Lip" <g.lip at gmx.com>
To: <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: How to Upgrade Grub2 ?

> On 01/28/2010 06:59 AM, Tortise wrote:
>

>>> I think I need to upgrade ubuntu server 9.10 GRUB 1.97~beta4 {2009-10-05}
>>>
>>> with GRUB 1.97.2. {2010-01-24} (To see if that addresses my issue)
>>>
>>> Reference: http://grub.enbug.org/FrontPage
>>>
>>> How does one do this?
>>>
>>> (My problem is similar to that detailed by poster #2 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8662452&posted=1#post8662452.)
>>> Essentially there seem to be grub issues when using a HDD larger than recognised by older BIOS.
>

> I can send to you grub2 version 1.98 on iso. But I doubt it will do you
> any good.

OK, I'll try and let you know.

Problem of old bios and LVM issues of large hd affect only
> grub-legacy. As far as I know, grub2 has taken care of this.

I confirm running GRUB2 on 9.10 (as above) also has the issues.  (LVM makes it worse, but there is an issue without LVM also)

> If you are on grub-legacy, I can suggest creating a small boot partition
> of 150 Mb to the first partition and this will solve the problem.

I might try this also, even though on grub2.  I'll try the new iso first, if I can figure that out.

> Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I'll send to you grub2 version 1.98
> direct to you.

Thanks again.