Network

Ross Schoenauer ross_s at cmc.net
Thu Jan 28 01:55:56 UTC 2010

Tom H wrote:

>>> So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
>>> folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
>>> this folder'.
>>>

>> Yes i have shared folders on all computers.  Network will not see any
>> other computers. All I get is "unable to mount workgroup". This happens
>> with all of my computers.
>>

> Are all your boxes in the same workgroup?
>
> Can you list the shares at the CLI?
> With
> smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
> or
> smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
>
> Do you have samba users on your samba servers?

Both of the above returned---

ross at Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
ross at Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
ross at Mint8Quad64 ~ $

ross at Mint8Quad64 ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba status
 * nmbd is running
 * smbd is running
ross at Mint8Quad64 ~ $  service samba status
 * nmbd is running
 * smbd is running
ross at Mint8Quad64 ~ $

Ross