best/easiest commandline email program for mass-email

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 27 20:55:01 UTC 2010

On 01/27/2010 12:09 PM, Alex Janssen wrote:
> I must send personalized email to our clients, about 2500.  So I figured
> on putting together each with a shell script and then sending the file
> with a commandline email program.  I was looking for suggestions on what
> might be the best package to install for this.  I have seen a suggestion
> for a program called "mail", but I can't figure out what package to
> install to get it.  I looked at the list presented by Synaptic, but
> there's a boat load of programs related to email.
>
> If anyone has done this sort of thing, I'd sure appreciate your suggestions.

No suggestions for cli, but you might want to take a look at using
OpenOffice.org's mailmerge for email:

<http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org>
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/mail-merge-2009/
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Doing_an_Email_Mail_Merge>