Problem with GRUB and UPDATE MANAGER

hosemaria at poczta.onet.pl hosemaria at poczta.onet.pl
Tue Jan 26 18:15:19 UTC 2010

 > > Let us know what/how you are updating when that happens. What version of
 > > Ubuntu were you having last and what version are you updating to.

UBUNTU 9.10 Karmic Koala - released in October 2009

 > > I guess the update involves updating the grub-legacy to grub2 and you
 > > did not follow through to setting grub2 properly.

Probably yes. I was asked to update grub configuration and I've done. Also I was asked to save older version.
Do you know where older version of grub.conf could be stored?

 > > Michael, if you have been following my recent post, and if you have a
 > > grub2 cd, you can boot into your ubuntu partition. (Do method *2* of my
 > > post). After booting up, you need to install grub-pc by "sudo apt-get
 > > install grub2" in a terminal and follow all the steps through with
 > > additional instructions. You must set your grub to sda (or mbr). Please
 > > go through the recent posts and let me know if you need to have a grub2
 > > iso sent to you.

Yes. If you could send iso I will apreciate.

 > you can just run the command to update your grub conf.
 > Update-grub is the command. It sounds like it is just your menu.list file.

I 've also tried sudo update-grub2; and udo update-grub
 but what I get is:
  grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /.

 > You rarely need a reinstall unless you really bork your system and then reboot.
 >
 > ~SpaceGhost

What about vmlinuz shouldnt it be inside /boot/ dir?? I have only grub dir and  memtest86+.bin file?

 Greetings