Problem with GRUB and UPDATE MANAGER

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed Jan 27 06:19:22 UTC 2010

On 01/27/2010 02:15 AM, hosemaria at poczta.onet.pl wrote:

>   >  >  Let us know what/how you are updating when that happens. What version of
>   >  >  Ubuntu were you having last and what version are you updating to.
>
> UBUNTU 9.10 Karmic Koala - released in October 2009
>
>   >  >
>   >  >  I guess the update involves updating the grub-legacy to grub2 and you
>   >  >  did not follow through to setting grub2 properly.
>
> Probably yes. I was asked to update grub configuration and I've done. Also I was asked to save older version.
> Do you know where older version of grub.conf could be stored?
>

>   >  >
>   >  >  Michael, if you have been following my recent post, and if you have a
>   >  >  grub2 cd, you can boot into your ubuntu partition. (Do method *2* of my
>   >  >  post). After booting up, you need to install grub-pc by "sudo apt-get
>   >  >  install grub2" in a terminal and follow all the steps through with
>   >  >  additional instructions. You must set your grub to sda (or mbr). Please
>   >  >  go through the recent posts and let me know if you need to have a grub2
>   >  >  iso sent to you.
>
> Yes. If you could send iso I will apreciate.
>

>   >  you can just run the command to update your grub conf.
>   >  Update-grub is the command. It sounds like it is just your menu.list file.
>
> I 've also tried sudo update-grub2; and udo update-grub
>   but what I get is:
>    grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /.
>
>   >  You rarely need a reinstall unless you really bork your system and then reboot.
>   >
>   >  ~SpaceGhost
>
> What about vmlinuz shouldnt it be inside /boot/ dir?? I have only grub dir and  memtest86+.bin file?
>
>   Greetings

Okay, will send you direct to you a grub2 iso. Burn image, not data to
get that cd.
Just to recap, requote below earlier message (to other people) sent
about a day earlier.

Do a search....
grub>search -f /vmlinuz

note output as in "(hd0,5)"

then do this....
grub>linux (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
grub>initrd (hd,5)/initrd.img
grub>boot

note replace (hd0,5) and sda5 with the output from the search.
note vmlinuz not vmlinux; linux not linuz

After booting up,at terminal, remember to
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo install-grub /dev/sda

if you have error message at sudo install grub /dev/sda,
do a
sudo apt-get install grub2
sudo update-grub

note : follow instructions that follows and set to sda at "sudo apt-get
install grub2"

good luck - goh lip