Mozilla apps installed outside of the repository

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 25 02:55:13 UTC 2010

On 01/24/2010 06:24 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/24/2010 04:49 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> NoOp,
>>>
>>> I read one of your posts where you mentioned that all your Mozilla apps
>>> were installed outside of the repository system.
>>>

>>> I was wondering if you uninstalled the version of Firefox put there by
>>> the Ubuntu install?
>>>
>>> Thanks,  Jim
>>>

>> Nah. I leave it in place, primarily for several reasons: 1) to test the
>> Ubuntu version, 2) to use the plugin links when necessary.
>>
>> I seldom use Fx at all as I use the mozilla version of SeaMonkey[1],
>> except for testing, but when I do I use the mozilla version. Ditto for
>> Thunderbird:
>>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
>>
>> My Ubuntu version on this system is:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20100106
>> Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.7
>>
>> With the mozilla version I get regular update notices, can use
>> 'Help|Check for Updates' etc, properly. Using the mozilla versions
>> allows me to run the applications from my home folder(s); meaning that
>> no root/superuser privilages are required (no installs to
>> /usr/whatever). IMO it is silly to give a browser access to root folders
>> et al. Fx, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, etc., all run just fine from the
>> users /home folder - just extract and run. Additionally, you don't need
>> to worry about the Ubuntu calling home[2].
>>
>> [1]
>> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8pre)
>> Gecko/20100123 Lightning/1.0b1 SeaMonkey/2.0.3pre
>>
>> [2]
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/08/07/1521208/Ubuntus-New-Firefox-Is-Watching-You?from=rss
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/402767
>> [multisearch CSE breaks l18n+setfocus+images+cached+I'm feeling lucky
>> functionality and "violates user trust"] Note: old but broke my trust
>> w/Ubuntu's versions.
>>

> OK, thanks.  I'm new to Ubuntu and have a lot to learn and sometimes
> find myself being a little to cautious.  I just need to remaind myself
> that I don't have anything important on it yet so if I really mess it up
> I can just reinstall with nothing hurt but a little lost time.
>
> Regares,  Jim

For the time being, I'd just stick with what you get from the repos.
However, if you'd like to test just download Fx and install to a home
folder & run from there. It won't disturb your exisiting Ubuntu version.

1. Download Fx from: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html
2. Open Nautilus (Places|Home Folder) and navigate to where you
downloaded the file. Right click the firefox-3.6.tar.bz2 file and click
'extract here'. That will create a new folder called 'firefox'.
2. Use nautilus to navigate to the new 'firefox' folder & double-click
the 'firefox' file. A window will open up asking if you wish to 'Run in
Terminal|Display|Cancel|Run'. Click 'Run'. Fx 3.6 will open up and use
your existing /home/<username/.mozilla settings. The opening page will
go to:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/whatsnew/
but that's normal on a first run. Click your home icon & you'll see your
normal home page.

If you decide you want to keep running Fx from that location, post back
& I'll advise on how you can set an 'Applications|Internet' menu etc. If
you decide that you don't want to continue using Fx from that location
you can simply delete the new firefox folder and the firefox-3.6.tar.bz2
file.

Gary

--
Minnesota Vikings just turned over the ball to New Orleans at 19 seconds
- all hail Brett Favre? Game is in overtime...