SoftModems/Linuxant

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 23 02:15:22 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 09:33 AM, Loïc Grenié wrote:
> 2010/1/21 NoOp <>:
>> The recent storms rolling through California wreaked havoc on the power
>> grids & I'm once again in search of how to install a supplied laptop
>> win/softmodem in linux. The new laptop (HP G60-530US) came in handy
>> today when the power went out (several times); I was easily able to
>> dual-boot into Win7 and connect to a standard POTS line (even with all
>> power out) and get on-line. Unfortunately I failed to spend days & days
>> beforehand trying to figuring out how to get the modem to work with
>> Ubuntu...
>
>      You might want to consider the Rosewill USB modem
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005
>
>   because it is a real hardware modem. It works with the ACM
>   driver. Even my ASUS WL-500g router manages to drive one...
>   I always have one with me (for my Linux laptop) and I leave one
>   at home (so that my router can send and receive faxes).

Along these same lines... anyone know of a similar type device that can
be used for DSL (portable USB/DSL modem), and works well with linux (and
AT&T DSL)?

I figure if the POTS line is still powered during the power outage(s)
allowing me to connect via dialup, the DSL signals must still be there
as well. Of course googling for 'usb dsl modem' brings up all forms of
DSL modems with USB ports, but so far I've not found anything like the
Rosewill USB modem that Loïc mentioned that provides DSL access.