buying a printer

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 22 22:29:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 21:49:10 -0000, David McNally <david3333333 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, whenever I need a printer, I first go to
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Anyone to see if the
> printer will work with Linux.
>
> And according to the page, the printer that you mentioned above, the
> HP LaserJet P1505, works "mostly." If I were you, I'd get one that
> works "perfectly," but that's just me. Of course, Johnny Rosenberg
> said that it worked perfectly with his computer, so maybe you should
> go with that.

Sadly that list isn’ŧ always as up to date as it could be.  Some printers
taht are said to work well have drivers that use libs that are no longer
used, and some peoples idea of fully working is 'it does what I want'.

> And I basically agree with Karl. Nearly all printers works with Linux
> these days. In my experience, setting up a printer with Ubuntu is much
> easier than doing so with Windows. With Ubuntu, printers are basically
> plug-and-play (or rather, plug-and-wait-30-seconds-and-play, but still
> pretty good). Printers these days work pretty well with Linux, so
> there probably won't be a problem if you choose the LaserJet P1505 or
> another printer. However, I still think that it's best if you check
> the OpenPrinting database to make sure that the printer works.

Lots of printers 'work' with Linux, but you don’t get full access to all
the features or they print very slowly, especially on colour.

--
Steve