buying a printer

David McNally david3333333 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:49:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> sdavmor wrote:

>>> Freecycle is a terrific public service. My wife discovered it a few
>>> years ago.  We use it a lot here in Southern California both to
>>> (mostly) give and (sometimes) get computer parts.
>>

>>        Sounds like a good idea! And yes if the age of the free
>> printer is more than about 5 years you will be good to check
>> Google first.
>>

> I'd always check google. Just personal choice
> <Googles Freecycle to see if there is a local location>
>
> ~SpaceGhost
>> 73 Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>        Linux User
>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>         Key ID = 3951B48D
>>

>> --

Well, whenever I need a printer, I first go to
http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Anyone to see if the
printer will work with Linux.

And according to the page, the printer that you mentioned above, the
HP LaserJet P1505, works "mostly." If I were you, I'd get one that
works "perfectly," but that's just me. Of course, Johnny Rosenberg
said that it worked perfectly with his computer, so maybe you should
go with that.

And I basically agree with Karl. Nearly all printers works with Linux
these days. In my experience, setting up a printer with Ubuntu is much
easier than doing so with Windows. With Ubuntu, printers are basically
plug-and-play (or rather, plug-and-wait-30-seconds-and-play, but still
pretty good). Printers these days work pretty well with Linux, so
there probably won't be a problem if you choose the LaserJet P1505 or
another printer. However, I still think that it's best if you check
the OpenPrinting database to make sure that the printer works.

--
David McNally
david3333333 at gmail.com
Linux Kernel 2.6.31-17-generic