Package removal?

Emil Payne EHSPayne at angelwoodpines.org
Fri Jan 22 03:31:51 UTC 2010

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Shortly after installing Unbuntu I used the Synaptic Package Manager to
> install Thunderbird 2.0.0.23.  I've since manually installed version 3
> and want to remove the earlier version.
>
> I went to the package manager and marked it for removal.  At the final
> step I see this message:

> 13 packages will be held back and not upgraded
>
> 1 package will be removed
>
> What is the significance of the 13 packages being "held back"?
>
> Will this mess with my 3.0 installation at all?
>
> Thanks,  Jim

Normally it means that there are 13 updates waiting to be applied but
you haven't given it permission.  Check your update option, it should
tell you that there are 13 updates and let you chose which one.  Or mark
all and then go back and unmark any you don't want.  Although, if you
really don't want an update you might consider just removing or
completely removing the package you don't want.

Emil
--
Fantasy Football Rules: