Package removal?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 15:59:46 UTC 2010

Emil Payne wrote:

> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Shortly after installing Unbuntu I used the Synaptic Package Manager to
>> install Thunderbird 2.0.0.23.  I've since manually installed version 3
>> and want to remove the earlier version.
>>
>> I went to the package manager and marked it for removal.  At the final
>> step I see this message:

>> 13 packages will be held back and not upgraded
>>
>> 1 package will be removed
>>
>> What is the significance of the 13 packages being "held back"?
>>
>> Will this mess with my 3.0 installation at all?
>>
>> Thanks,  Jim
>>

> Normally it means that there are 13 updates waiting to be applied but
> you haven't given it permission.  Check your update option, it should
> tell you that there are 13 updates and let you chose which one.  Or mark
> all and then go back and unmark any you don't want.  Although, if you
> really don't want an update you might consider just removing or
> completely removing the package you don't want.
>
> Emil

I looked in the Thunderbird preferences and under Automatically check
for updates, Thunderbird is checked but it is greyed out. When ever
Ubuntu's Update Manager has notified me of updates I have given it
permission to perform the updates.

Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks,  Jim