Beginner Q1: Linux incapable of handling FDD?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 21 23:06:49 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 10:05 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/14/2010 09:50 AM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>>
>> 	Yep, 9.04 can open floppies just fine. My box is standard, no funny
>> stuff. Just upgraded from 8.04 - 8.10 - 9.04...
>>

> I have a test system w/8.04 on one partition & 9.10 on the other. Both
> are clean default installs.
>
> 8.04 mounts the floppy just fine (there is an ongoing issue of the name
> changing from 'Floppy Drive' to the name on the floppy, but that's
> another bug).
>
> Boot to 9.10 and I cannot mount the floppy unless I go to the terminal and:
>
> $ sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

Also just discovered this in 9.10:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835/comments/176

Quite by accident I discovered that opening Nautilus in superuser mode:
'gksu nautilus' with a floppy in the drive & floppy notation in
fstab[1], automatically mounts floppy0. So it appears that this is a
permissions/policy issue?

[1] from my /etc/fstab:
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

Karmic 9.10 (Gnome) 2.6.31-18-generic