Flash Problem

Dennis Nehen dnehen at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 07:00:14 UTC 2010

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:06:39 -0700
> From: RobertHoltzman <holtzm at cox.net>
> Subject: Re: Flash Problem[SOLVED-sort of]
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> And now for the rest of the story. I installed adobe-flashplugin on my
> desktop box (should have tried this before) from the Ubuntu repo, fired
> up hulu.com and it worked! Next I ran update/upgrade on my laptop and it
> wanted to upgrade adobe-flashplugin. Strange, as I purged it prior to
> installing from the Adobe site. Figured I had little to lose so I
> upgraded, accessed the hulu site and it now worked! I renamed the
> /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree directory, tried hulu again and it still
> worked. That told me that it was the freebie plugin that was working,
> not the one from Adobe.
>
> At this point I'm one confused lad. I have no clue why the plugin now
> works as I've made no other changes. I also have no  clue how to
> uninstall the nonfree plugin from the Adobe site. It has to be more
> involved than simply deleting the /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree
> directory.
>
> BTW contrary to the advice I tried, it appears that Firefox *does* check
> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin.
>
> --
> Bob Holtzman

Interesting that that directory (/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin) worked. Are you using 64 bit system? Mine system is 32 bit. Maybe that's why.

The package from the adobe website was named adobe-flashplugin and appears as such in Synaptic package list after you install it. You can uninstall it with Synaptic package manager. The non-free one is flashplugin-nonfree - in my current package list, it is "flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.1.218+really9.0.260.0ubuntu1" and that one did not work - identifies as ver 9 r 260, and Hulu now wants 10.0.22 or better, their FAQ says.

Anyway, glad it is working for you now.

Dennis N.