System Freezes With gnome-screensaver-preferences

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 16 12:50:39 UTC 2010

Whenever I call up gnome-screensaver-preferences, the whole system
freezes/locks up.  The only way I can get anything back is to reboot.

I can run it from the live CD but there doesn't appear to be any way of
saving settings to correct this problem.

Does anyone know how to turn the screensaver off by using the terminal?

I assume there's some sort of conflict which causing everything (mouse
pointer, keyboard, etc.) to freeze so where do I start looking?  I
can't find a folder for screensavers that I can delete to see if that
works, so where do I look?

I've googled to try to find any reference to that, without success, so
I'd appreciate any help anyone on this list can give.....

Thanks in advance.

--
Graham Todd