Flash Problem[SOLVED-sort of]

RobertHoltzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Jan 18 02:06:39 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 04:25:42PM -0700, RobertHoltzman wrote:

> Well, after downloading from the Adobe site and copying
> libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree hulu has gone from
> asking for Flash 10.0.42.34 to asking for Flash 10.0.22. Also, no Flash
> plugin is listed in "about:plugins" and as expected it's not recognized
> by dpkg. I went so far as temporarily disabling noscript and adblock.
> The only result was that I got deeper into the site before running into
> a wall.
>
> Looks like I'm back to square one except now I'll have to jump thru
> hoops if I decide to uninstall.

And now for the rest of the story. I installed adobe-flashplugin on my
desktop box (should have tried this before) from the Ubuntu repo, fired
up hulu.com and it worked! Next I ran update/upgrade on my laptop and it
wanted to upgrade adobe-flashplugin. Strange, as I purged it prior to
installing from the Adobe site. Figured I had little to lose so I
upgraded, accessed the hulu site and it now worked! I renamed the
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree directory, tried hulu again and it still
worked. That told me that it was the freebie plugin that was working,
not the one from Adobe.

At this point I'm one confused lad. I have no clue why the plugin now
works as I've made no other changes. I also have no  clue how to
uninstall the nonfree plugin from the Adobe site. It has to be more
involved than simply deleting the /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree
directory.

BTW contrary to the advice I tried, it appears that Firefox *does* check
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin.

Now, where did I put that Scotch bottle?

--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279