Flash Problem

RobertHoltzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Jan 17 23:25:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 06:07:42PM +0000, Dennis Nehen wrote:

> I encountered the same problem with Hardy. The problem is where the plugin is
> installed. The libflashplayer.sopackage flashplugin-nonfree installs into /usr/lib/
> flashplugin-nonfree, while the version from the Adobe website
> (adobe-flashplugin) installs into /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin. It seems that
> this second location is not checked by Firefox.
>
> Furthermore, the flashplugin-nonfree package in the main Hardy repos is really
> ver 9 - it is detected as ver 9 r 260 on Adobe's version check page.
>
> A solution is 1) uninstall the flashplugin-nonfree package 2) recreate the
> directory /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree (since it is deleted when the package is
> uninstalled) and 3) copy the file you installed from the Adobe website
> (libflashplayer.so) from /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin into /usr/lib/
> flashplugin-nonfree. Firefox will detect it there, and Hulu will work.
>

> You can also get the same package as the Adobe site offers by enabing the
> Canonical 'ubuntu hardy partner' repo under Third Party Software.

Well, after downloading from the Adobe site and copying
libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree hulu has gone from
asking for Flash 10.0.42.34 to asking for Flash 10.0.22. Also, no Flash
plugin is listed in "about:plugins" and as expected it's not recognized
by dpkg. I went so far as temporarily disabling noscript and adblock.
The only result was that I got deeper into the site before running into
a wall.

Looks like I'm back to square one except now I'll have to jump thru
hoops if I decide to uninstall.

--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279