Flash Problem

Dennis Nehen dnehen at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 16 18:07:42 UTC 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:49:42 -0700
> From: RobertHoltzman <holtzm at cox.net>
> Subject: flash problem
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Running Hardy fully updated with adobe-flashplugin 10.0.42.34-2 from the
> Ubuntu repos. I'm having trouble getting some sites ( hulu.com for one) to
> function. They all tell me to d/l the latest Flash Player. Just for the
> hell of it I clicked on the link they presented and it took me to the
> Adobe site where I had the opportunity to obtain Adobe Flash Player
> version 10.0.42.34 which, of course, was already installed. Now...what
> am I not understanding here?
>
> My version appears to be Ubuntu's free version. I assume the one from
> the Adobe site is nonfree. Is that the problem? If so, what is the
> downside of using the one from the Adobe site, assuming it will work.
>
> Ubuntu docs say to install flashplugin-nonfree and
> flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound from the multiverse repo. First, no joy
> with lashplugin-nonfree. Second, and moot, there is no
> flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound listed.
>
> There are some sites that work apparently without flash. My
> understanding is that this has something to do with the way the site is
> coded. True?
>
> Anyone else having this problem?
>
> I've run off at the mouth enough. Any ideas?
> --
> Bob Holtzman
> GPG key ID = 8D549279
> If you think you're getting free lunch
> check the price of the beer.

I encountered the same problem with Hardy. The problem is where the plugin is installed. The package flashplugin-nonfree installs into /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree, while the version from the Adobe website (adobe-flashplugin) installs into /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin. It seems that this second location is not checked by Firefox.

Furthermore, the flashplugin-nonfree package in the main Hardy repos is really ver 9
- it is detected as ver 9 r 260 on Adobe's version check page.

A solution is 1) uninstall the flashplugin-nonfree package 2) recreate the directory /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree (since it is deleted when the package is uninstalled) and 3) copy the file you installed from the Adobe website (libflashplayer.so) from /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin into /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree. Firefox will detect it there, and Hulu will work.

You can also get the same package as the Adobe site offers by enabing the Canonical 'ubuntu hardy partner' repo under Third Party Software.