Java upgrade dilema

Rick Bragg rbragg at gmnet.net
Fri Jan 15 01:58:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

I need to install a package called "cyclos" (cyclos.org) and according
to the documentation requires the following:

Java Runtime Environment (JRE), Java 1.5 (aka 5.0) is required. If you
use Java 6 (aka 1.6), ensure the version is 1.6.0_04 or later (versions
1.6.0_00 to 1.6.0_03 won't work).

The problem is that I am using Ubuntu 64bit LTS 8.04 (hardy) and I have
openjdk-6-jre installed and according to "apt-get" it is up to date.
However, when I test for the version, I get the following:

java version "1.6.0_0"
OpenJDK  Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_0-b11)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_0-b11, mixed mode)

So, I guess I need to either upgrade Java to some newer version, or
downgrade to Java 5.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks!
Rick