Will this laptop be compatible with Ubuntu?

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu Jan 14 08:41:15 UTC 2010

Brittany,

Some things often don't work like embedded SD card readers... unless,
internally, they are USB attached. That's hard to figure out from specs.
But Toshiba often does that (i.e. not USB attached). But since it's a
5-in-1 bridge... good chance it will.

Intel network card should work.

Graphics will work. Ubuntu will prompt you if you want to get fancy,
accelerated, proprietary drivers directly from NVIDIA and I suggest you
do, your graphics card will work very nicely.

My suggestion is download a Ubuntu live CD (don't bother with 64 bits -
take the normal 32 bits)... take it with you to the shop, and ask if you
can boot the machine with it, and try out the WiFi section, audio,
graphics, card reader... everything you really need.

But as reported elsewhere in this thread, this is a fairly standard
config and everything should work just fine.

Gilles