Will this laptop be compatible with Ubuntu?

Brittany Fleischer linuxwolfz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 08:06:47 UTC 2010

I don't want to Spam this group with a link so I'm copying and pasting the specs instead.

I am interested in potentially buying this laptop but I'm wondering if this laptop supports the current version of Ubuntu? When I have possession of the laptop I will be wiping the hard drive and installing Ubuntu. I don't want any problems so I'm seeing if the specs supports the os.

Model
Brand TOSHIBA
Series Qosmio
Model X305-Q712
Part# PQX32U-05Q01N
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.0G
Screen 17" WXGA+
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 320GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS
Video Memory 512MB GDDR3
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 16.20" x 12.00" x 1.70" - 2.50"
Weight 8.99 lbs.
Tech Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed P7350(2.00GHz)
CPU FSB 1066MHz
CPU L2 Cache 3MB
Chipset
Chipset Intel PM45
Display
Screen Size 17.0"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide XGA+
Resolution 1440 x 900
LCD Features TruBrite technology
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS
Video Memory 512MB GDDR3
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 320GB
HDD RPM 7200rpm
HDD Interface SATA
Memory
Memory 4GB
Memory Speed DDR3 1066
Memory Spec 2GB x 2
Memory Type 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
Memory Slot (Total) 2
Memory Slot (Available) 0
Max Memory Supported 4GB
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Optical Drive Spec DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash drive supporting 11 formats
Maximum
speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (16x), DVD-ROM
(8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD-RW
(6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD+RW
(8x), DVD-RAM (5x)
Supports Labelflash media to burn high quality labels directly on the disk.
Communications
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN (802.11 a/g/n)
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Express Card
USB 4 x USB (3 USB v2.0 ports, 1 eSATA/USB combo port)
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x RGB (monitor) output port
1 x DisplayPort
1 x REGZA LINK (HDMI-CEC)
Audio Ports Yes
Audio
Audio Sound volume control dial
Built-in microphone
Speaker 4 built-in harman/kardon speakers plus 1 sub-woofer
Input Device
Touchpad Toshiba TouchPad
Keyboard 104 key US keyboard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMedia Card, xD Picture Card [shared slots]
Webcam Yes
Power
AC Adapter 180-watt AC adapter
Battery 4000 mAh (8 cell) Lithium Ion battery pack
Physical spec
Dimensions 16.20" x 12.00" x 1.70" - 2.50"
Weight 8.99 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year limited
Labor 1 year limited