Upgrade from 9.04 -> 9.10 Video Failure

Gary Jarrel garyjarrel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 00:51:20 UTC 2010

I've had a similar problem with 9.10 on my desktop and NVIDIA cards, seemed
like there was a problem installing the NVIDIA drivers.

>From what I remember I had install the NVIDIA drivers in the console (from
the repository) then run the nvidia-xconfig and make sure that the right
drivers were in the xorg.conf

My last reinstall of 9.10 was over the weekend on the desktop, what I did
this time around was save the xorg.conf file from my previous install,
freshly reinstall 9.10, X started using the open source nvidia driver, I
then installed the restricted driver and before the reboot dropped the
previously saved xorg.conf file into /etc/X11.

I have 2 monitors + TV connected to my Desktop, so amongst knowing that my
previous xorg.conf was already working I don't have to run nvidia-settings
and layout all my monitors again.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Gayr