dd problem

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 00:01:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>        I have used and like rsync and it may be hard for you to
>>> understand but I like to fool around with new ways to do things.
>>>
>>>        For backup I will return to rsync as I have the thing all set up.
>> <snip>
>> I'm sorta wondering why you use rsync? It has no advantages over
>> tar'ing as far as I know.
>
>        One HUGE advantage is that rsync allows daily backup to the
> same file that includes only NEW files, and does so automatic.
> This is why it is used so much.

For what you want to do Karl,
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/tar/Incremental-Dumps.html

Sadly, yet again, you've started a thread here where you once again
prove that even AFTER someone gives you the correct way to achieve
what you want, you totally ignore it, trash a filesystem and then have
the ignorance to take a pop at someone who's giving you yet more solid
advice for your scenario.

Honestly old timer, when you come out with statements like

"To get the job done I had to use: sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdg1"
(and at this point, those of us who know what dd actually does started
to laugh) and then continue with " and that worked fine. But it fouled
up my portable hard drive." it all becomes too much.

Do you understand what you actually did? I'm being quite serious now -
do *you really understand what this command does*? I suspect you don't
as you reply to Charlie with "My first question is: Why does dd ruin a
file system when it
is directed to put some files on the HD?"

May I, not very respectfully, ask that you go away, read the man page
for dd, apply it to the command you elected to use despite being told
otherwise and learn something. When you come back, feel free to use
your extensive education (yet curiously poor grammar and spelling) to
explain what "sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdg1" actually achieves.

I await your missive with barely contained excitement.... really.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0