dd problem

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 15 02:33:38 UTC 2010

Neil Cherry wrote:
> On 01/14/2010 05:17 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 06:34:29PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>>
>>>              ............snip............

>>> First, how do you know no businesses use rsync? Second, did you read the
>>> part about rsync being good for network backups? Just because *you*
>>> don't understand the suggestion and do know rsync well enough to use it
>>> doesn't make it intrinsically better.
>
> Karl's (lack of) knowledge could fill volumes.
>
>>> If you would bother to read (with comprehension) the tar man page you
>>> would find your reason for not liking it is one of usual your ill
>>> informed wet dreams.
>
>> 	I today read the entire rsync man page and did a complete
>> backup and one incremental backups. I had to change the owner
>> of the portable hard drive and now I can do backups without
>> being root, as it says in man rsync
>>
>> 	If you were smart you would use rsync, but your not. Too bad.
>
> This is the statement that broke the camel's back. Karl the wise
> knows all (within his little universe), sees all (as far as he can
> see) and is wise (NOT!).
>
> Karl you have one tool and think you know everything about
> backups. Tar has been used (and probably still is being used) for
> backup. Rsync is one tool but not the only. Quit being so @#$%^!
> arrogant, you know too little. Your bout with dd seems to bear
> that out.
>
> I can't wait to see what happens when you need to do a partial
> restore or are you from the Windows world of 'wipe the drive and
> reload'?
>
> BTW, I use svn to backup my projects and sitecopy/ssh to backup
> my web site.

And there are some of us who never backup their HDD(home users) and
really don't see a need to.  Excluding my Commadore 64 with no HDD
and a dual floppy system that failed everytime you used it. I've only
had one HDD failure on a Dell Demision T450, 13 G HDD that fsck screwed
up during a scheduled boot up check.  The drive wasn't bad, formated,
installed and still using it today on a1999 era machine. For business
critical systems, home office, etc., this wouldn't apply.  I have two
machines on my lan and can recover any critical file(like income tas
data) from one machine or the other and have done so.
Just the other side of the coin.  So, can't we let this drop and let
Karl sleep in his world.  Anything he might have said in error has been
corrected many times; so what's the point except to continue OT, bash
Karl or whatever.  Let's get back to the real point of Ubuntu Users
List. Just my $.02; no flame intended but am getting tired of these
long threads going nowhere.

--
Leonard
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net