Odd behavior when using (not drinking!) WINE

Art Spencer spencer.art at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:08:50 UTC 2010

I have Ubuntu 9.10 and XP in a dual boot configuration, and would like
to switch to Ubuntu exclusively when I can.  Right now, I have Hardwood
Solitaire III (my wife can't live without it) installed using Wine, and it
works but. . .

When I start the game, the screen goes black except for the very top of
the screen, where I can see a narrow strip of the opening screen of the
game.  After fooling with it for a while, I figured out that I can press
Ctrl-Alt-Del, then hit Escape, and find the program down
on the task bar.  I click the task bar icon of the game, and it responds
as if I had minimized the program.  I click the icon on the task bar
again, and it is up and running just fine!  If I exit without playing a
game,
the problem repeats.  If I play a game before exiting, the next time I
start
the game, all is well.  Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Art

*

*--
Art Spencer

"Always work hard on something uncomfortably exciting."  --  Larry Page,
co-founder of Google