Question for Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, from Ubuntu 9.04

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Jan 8 18:56:15 UTC 2010

On 09/01/10 01:46, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Goh Lip wrote:

> I don't know how his current setup works, but an upgrade from 9.04 to
> 9.10 leaves you with grub-legacy and ext3, so if his current setup has
> worked with kernel upgrades before, I see no reason why it'd not
> survive a dist-upgrade.
> It might be worth looking at apt-pinning to prevent the upgrade of Grub
> (since it will want to  install the grub-legacy package 'over' the
> current grub package) to avoid doing anything that will change the
> booting arrangements.
>
> But I really know nothing about the system, though it's intrigued me
> and I'm going to see if I can play with the idea this weekend. It's
> been too long since I last looked at non-standard booting, but I might
> be hampered by an absence of Windows CDs.

Okay, good luck, but looks like a lot of work that we here would not
want to use anyway, (the windows boot, ie); Had used EasyBCD for other
people's system to restore their mbr when they chickened out of linux
and I think EasyBCD said they will work on grub2, same said by super
grub as well. Personally, the empty grub-legacy and now the empty grub2
boot cd's has been more than sufficient.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Goh Lip