localhost

Emil Payne EHSPayne at angelwoodpines.org
Fri Jan 8 06:37:59 UTC 2010

Rashkae wrote:

>> 127.0.0.1 Dell-Mint
>> 127.0.1.1 Dell-Ubuntu
>>

> There's your problem right there.  127.0.0.1 needs an alias to locahost.
>
> It should have looked something like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost Dell-Mint
> 127.0.1.1       Dell-Mint
>
> or Dell-Ubuntu if you prefer.. how did you change your hostname and
> clobber the hosts file at the same time?

Don't ask me.  I'm real good at doing things like that! =P
Just try following a ton of links via Google and Ubuntu Forums for a
week or two, not really knowing what you are doing ...  Works like a
charm - a bad-luck charm!

currently set to
127.0.0.1 localhost Dell-Mint Dell-Ubuntu

Hostname is set as "Dell-Ubuntu".  Left the "Del-Mint" in case some
little program somewhere is looking for it...

OK, looks like localhost is set to display a root directory.  I'll have
to look around for it.  Should be around /opt/lampp/something...

Now, what would something like:

127.0.0.1 placename
127.0.1.1 placename

do?

If I entered "placename" would it go to the second address since it was
called last?

Is there ever any reason for setting something up like that?

BTW- I did find out my default swat u/p - same as root name and password.

So, now - how do I get lampp (apache2, mysql, php, whatever) to
autostart on computer start?

Coming soon: More SAMBA questions! *yeah*

Emil
Fantasy Football Rules:
  Wands are Offensive.
  Wings are Defensive.