localhost

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jan 8 00:16:26 UTC 2010

Emil Payne wrote:
> Figured I hijack this thread =P
>
> Using Koala on an old Dell desktop.  Have an XP box and a Linux box
> connected to router and then connected to cable modem.  Able to access
> internet fine from both machines.  No firewalls nor proxies on system.
> Just using router and modem firewalls.
>
> What info (command outputs) do I need to send the list for more help?
>
> I'm totally unable to connect to localhost.  I've installed swat
> (localhost:901) and webmin (localhost:10000) and xammp (localhost) but I
> keep getting the generic 404 page:
>
> Unable to connect
>
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
>
>     *   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
> in a few moments.
>
>     *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
> network connection.
>
>     *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
> make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Check output of ifconfig, make certain that device lo is present.  It
should look something like this:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1226425 (1.1 MB)  TX bytes:1226425 (1.1 MB)

Then check your /etc/hosts file, it needs to have an alias for localhost
that points to IP address 127.0.0.1