Question for Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, from Ubuntu 9.04

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:23:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 17:54:23 -0000, Jay Mistry <jaylinux53 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/07/2010 09:01 PM, Jay Mistry wrote:
>
>>> I would like to upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 that I am currently using
>>> with Windows XP, by using the Windows bootloader to boot into Ubuntu.
>>> For upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04, I would like to know about:
>>>
>>> - Is it ok to simply format the / (root) partition and leave /home as
>>> it is (since there are documents, pictures, etc in /home) and then
>>> install the new Ub 9.10 in the formatted / (root) partn. ?
>>
>> Yes, it is okay to leave the /home, remember to set the /home partition
>> and  *don't format it*.
>>
>>> - Will there be any problem with the new GRUB2 in booting from the
>>> Windows bootloader ? Presenty I am using the Windows bootloader to
>>> boot into Ub 9.04, with GRUB (old) located in the MBR of / (root)
>>> partition  - without any problem.
>
> Thanks for the reply. Since I have a lot of other apps that are
> working well in Ub 9.04 (Chromium, OpenOffice 3.1.1, Ubuntu Tweak,
> many others - these are working ok with Ub 9.04), will they work
> properly with Ub 9.10 ? Or will I need to update each additional
> application with the Ub 9.10 version by adding the sources manually,
> etc ?

You’ll have to update any third party repositories, usually its just a
case of replacing jaunty with karnic in the sources.list
If you intend to format / and do a clean install you should save a copy of
your sources list in /home some where, so you have a reference for the
third party repos.

--
Steve