no soundcards found 9.10 upgrade on Dell studio xps

Ron Burns rrburns at cox.net
Wed Jan 6 18:26:34 UTC 2010

Thank you for the reply Barry.  I do not know if the sound driver
package is loaded. I suspect that is not but I do not know how to check
other than the "aplay -l" which says no soundcards detected.  Dell
support indicated that the XPS sound driver package was  part of the
kernel in 9.04.  They so not support 9.10 (yet) and so the sound driver
for the Dell Studio XPS may be missing from the 9.10 kernel.  JW Paster
in an earlier response said

The latest kernel was supposed to fix XPS sound problems also but if you are not fully updated you may not have the latest one installed.

I am fully updated so either the fix is not included in the latest
kernel or I need to do something more and I don't know what the next
step is.

Regards
   Ron

--