Two disruptive users on ubuntu-users

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Mon Jan 4 09:40:56 UTC 2010

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On 01/03/2010 08:04 PM, Res wrote:
>
>> grow up child, I have rarely posted recently, but by teh hand of god, if
>> you want me to spend time here, reminding newbies that self appointed net
>> cop dictator loosers like yourself also should not be tolerated, then
>> I will gladly allocate an hour or so a day.
>>
>> oh yeah where this "a lot of people are complaining?" theres you, who have
>> always had it in for me becuse I pulled you up on your net-cop attitude,
>> wheres the others...
>>

> You shouldn't assume that just because there are only a few vocal
> critics, that the silent majority sanctions what you do. You seem to
> think hiding behind a pseudonym "Res" (or is it "Noel"?), or at least
> not clearly identifying yourself, and the fact that this is an
> unmoderated list gives you the license to act as you please, which is to
> say, like a total boor. The latest example of your unacceptable
> behaviour is forwarding what was clearly a private communication from
> KFL to you to a public mailing list. Aside from the fact that this is a
> pretty despicably low thing to do, it has nothing to do with the
> explicitly-stated purpose of this list. No doubt, KFL is a crackpot. At
> least he's often a well-meaning crackpot. You're worse. You're a toxic
> individual who is the antithesis of the spirit and meaning of the word
> "ubuntu".
>
> I was fortunate to learn at a relatively young age that bullies like you
> are also big cowards and that all one has to do is stand up to them to
> get them to stop bullying. There was a big bully from my middle school
> who had to come to school for weeks with a splint on his broken nose and
> a nice pair of black eyes after one of my more memorable applications of
> that lesson. If you're the same malevolent bastard off-line as you are
> on-line, some day, you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong person and
> you'll get a well-deserved beating. Hopefully, it won't cost you your
> life so that you'll learn from the experience.
>
> Having said all that, I am adamantly opposed to kicking you or anyone
> else off the list. You have the right, but not a license, to be
> offensive but I reserve the right to tell you, as I'm doing now, to shut
> up and sit down if I think you're being offensive.

Might I suggest a solution? Perhaps setting up an Ubuntu Social list,
and then of course, an Anti-Social list where people like the above
mentioned can discuss their plans for Satanic version of Ubuntu? I'm not
against freedom of speech, and applaud the sentiments above. However I
do find the spirit of the whole discussion the antithesis of humanity
and everything Ubuntu stands for and surely against the Code of Conduct?
So maybe the two individuals should also consider changing their linux
distro or moving to another list where they can take their trolls? I
have only been on this list for a couple of weeks and didn't realise
there was such a problem but looking back in the archive I can see that
this has been an ongoing saga, which surely must stop. Come on people,
its 2010  and a new decade. Time to take Ubuntu to a higher level.

DRL