Best Application to Backup / Restore Entire Ubuntu System ?

user1 bqz69 at telia.com
Sat Jan 2 21:05:54 UTC 2010

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 00:06:41 +0400, Jozsef wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 19:35 +0000, user1 wrote:
>> > i want an application that is
>> > best in the linux world that does backup / restore.
>>
>> I usually have my ubuntu on one partition of 30 gb
>>
>> I always make backup of my partitions using puppy and the dd command -
>> puppy also have the gparted program installed.
>>
>> I would use a puppy live cd for the dd operations, because it has a
>> very easy to use interface (I find), and is very fast, also check
>> www.minihowto.org out to see some screenshots of puppy
>>
>> That is, you would have to download a puppy iso image (big file) and
>> burn it into a live cd (I use k3b)
>>
>> Download from here: http://www.puppylinux.com/download/
>>
>> Seen from puppy, in order to backup partition 1:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/sdb1/backup1.img
>>
>> /dev/sda1 is partition 1 of the first harddisk
>>
>> backup1.img is a file containing the backup'ed partition, you could
>> call it something else.
>>
>> In order to restore backup1.img onto partition 1:
>>
>> dd if=/mnt/sdb1/backup1.img of=/dev/sda1
>>
>> My partition size for my ubuntu is 30 gb, and takes about 30 minutes to
>> backup/restore - and dd really does not care what filesystems you have
>> on the partition, in a way it clones the partition.
>>
>> You could even backup the whole harddisk (/dev/sda), but if the
>> harddisk is big it could take a fairly long time - but dd really is
>> easy to use I find.
>>
>> See also "man dd"
>
> Same question: did you ever try to restore such kind of backups with
> success?

Yes, both ubuntu og windows xp, but the size of the partition to restore
to shall be the same size as that of the backup'd partition, and one
should always use the same partition designations, that means if you have
backuped sda1 you should not restore it to sda2 - that might give
problems for the programs in the restored partition later on.