Problems installing djbdns

Jan malepatus at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:42:00 UTC 2010

Update:

Here another step-by-step description of my problem from this page:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-djbdns-setup-on-ubuntu8.04-amd64

$ apt-get install build-essential

$ mkdir /tmp/downloads

$ cd $_

$ wget -c  HYPERLINK
"http://www.thedjbway.org/patches/djb_errno_patches.tgz"
http://www.thedjbway.org/patches/djb_errno_patches.tgz
#===> HERE DO I GET THE djb_errno_patches.tgz from the new djbway website

$ tar -zxvf djb_errno_patches.tgz

$ wget -c   HYPERLINK
"http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/daemontools-0.76.tar.gz"
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/daemontools-0.76.tar.gz

$ wget -c  HYPERLINK "http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/ucspi-tcp-0.88.tar.gz"
http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/ucspi-tcp-0.88.tar.gz

$ wget -c  HYPERLINK "http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/djbdns-1.05.tar.gz"
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/djbdns-1.05.tar.gz

$ cd /tmp/downloads

$ tar -zxvf ucspi-tcp-0.88.tar.gz

$ cd ucspi-tcp-0.88

$ patch -p1 < /tmp/downloads/ucspi-tcp-0.88.errno.patch

$ make

$ make setup check

$ cd /tmp/downloads

$ tar -zxvf  daemontools-0.76.tar.gz

$ cd admin/daemontools-0.76/

$ touch /etc/inittab

$ patch -p1 < /tmp/downloads/daemontools-0.76.errno.patch

$ package/install

$ vi /etc/event.d/svscan
#=====> file does not exist - I also have to create the folder
"/etc/event.d"

$ #Entering the following values:

# svscan - daemontools

start on runlevel 2
start on runlevel 3
start on runlevel 4
start on runlevel 5
stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /command/svscanboot

$ cd /command

$ rm -rf *

$ cp /tmp/downloads/admin/daemontools/command/* /command/

***reboot***

$ initctl start svscan

And that's the point where my box says:
"initctl: Unknown job: svscan"