Converting a friend to Ubuntu - Continued

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:41:18 UTC 2010

Tab Gilbert wrote, On 02/18/2010 01:29 PM:
>> At startup he falls back to a root shell and his 2 ext4 disks (root
>> had errors, home was OK) had to be fsck before a new reboot (and he
>> wasn't yet at his 31st boot).
>>
> This is a little to technical for me but I know the recent Vista security
> updates conks out grub.  I posted the question on here a few weeks ago but
> never got a response.  The solution I googled up was a little to much for me
> so I had to reinstall Ubuntu.  I did not know that Vista took three reboots
> to do the complete update so I got to reinstall Ubuntu three times.  I know
> this is not addressing your question but there is something funky about the
> Vista security update on a dual boot system.  The problem might be the
> creation of Vista.
>
> tab

	Not really. Vista updates are just replacing their boot
message on the first hard drive over the top of the Grub boot
message.

	Instead of reloading your Linux get on Google and put in
Super Grub and get the version that loads on a cd-rom. Next
time Vista does it's thing, just run Super Grub.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User