Converting a friend to Ubuntu - Continued

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Thu Feb 18 21:39:52 UTC 2010

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:07:31 +0100
> From: Lo?c Greni? <loic.grenie at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Converting a friend to Ubuntu - Continued
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,     not for general discussions"
>        <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> 2010/2/18 David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>:
>>

>> Tab Gilbert wrote:
>>>
>>> ? ? At startup he falls back to a root shell and his 2 ext4 disks (root
>>> ? ? had errors, home was OK) had to be fsck before a new reboot (and he
>>> ? ? wasn't yet at his 31st boot).
>>>
>>> This is a little to technical for me but I know the recent Vista
>>> security updates conks out grub. ?I posted the question on here a few
>>> weeks ago but never got a response. ?The solution I googled up was a
>>> little to much for me so I had to reinstall Ubuntu. ?I did not know
>>> that Vista took three reboots to do the complete update so I got to
>>> reinstall Ubuntu three times. ?I know this is not addressing your
>>> question but there is something funky about the Vista security update
>>> on a dual boot system. ?The problem might be the creation of Vista.
>>>
>>> tab
>>
>> It's one of the reasons I don't enjoy duel boot systems and never
>> recommend them. Windows always figures out some way to write all over
>> grub. A clean single installation is always better.
>
>     That's why I never put grub on the MBR of a dual boot system (and
>  I don't understand why some distributions nearly compel you to put it
>  there).
>
>      Lo?c

Hi All,

There is no problem with grub and probably it is not windows fault
since the second time it happened Windows hasn't run for a week. The
linux ext4 partitions, certainly root by I also fsck home, have
faults.

Tx/Alain

Alain Muls                                      alain.muls at gmail.com
Rijkenhoekstraat 62                                  +32.477.675091
B3191 Boortmeerbeek                                +32.15.620365
Ubuntu user # 30068