Converting a friend to Ubuntu - Continued

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Thu Feb 18 20:16:10 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Since a couple of weeks ago, I converted my friend to Ubuntu. He was
pleasantly surprised by the startup speed of the OS and the
applications compared to his Vista (dual boot).

Since then he had 2 problems.

At startup he falls back to a root shell and his 2 ext4 disks (root
had errors, home was OK) had to be fsck before a new reboot (and he
wasn't yet at his 31st boot). The first time I saw messages about
files living in the future. Since he had just restarted from WIndows I
assumed it had something to do with the internal clock. But the second
time he assured me he had not run Windows for more than a week. So a
Linux problem! I hate to admit it (haven't yet done it to him), but I
hope you can give me advice about how I can fix this problem?

Alain Muls                                      alain.muls at gmail.com
Rijkenhoekstraat 62                                  +32.477.675091
B3191 Boortmeerbeek                                +32.15.620365
Ubuntu user # 30068