System Monitor remains busy for 15 - 20 minutes after startup

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 11:13:54 UTC 2010

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> The whole machine is not very busy when this screenshot was made... 35.9
> idle, 35.1 wait for IO... 23.6% user processes...
>
> So Ashish, you probably want to do that screenshot when your machine is,
> indeed, seeming overloaded. Because what you show is is clearly not an
> overloaded system...

35% wait time can quite easily make a machine sluggish. CPU starvation
is not the only form of overloading. So the questions in my mind are:

(1) Is the screenshot of top typical? Is mysqld at the top of the list
for most of the 15-20 mins and is there consistently a high I/O wait % ?
Ashish, sit and watch top for a few minutes and see what's happening.

(2a) If that screenshot is typical, then we need to know what mysqld is
doing. Can you provide more information about that, Ashish? One thing
would be to run the 'mysql' command and then run 'status' within it and
show us the result.

(2b) If the screenshot is not typical, what is? :)

Cheers, Dave