GEdit - can't select text with keyboard

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 22:39:39 UTC 2010

2010/2/13 Tero Pesonen <ubuntu-users at tpesonen.net>:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 19:41 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> I have recently installed Ubuntu 9.10. Before that I had the now very
>> old Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Is 14-months-old software really considered "very very old" these days?
> I guess I am dinosaur, then, being happy with years-old software
> versions.
>
> For your problem: I am afraid I can't offer much help. For text editing,
> I've used either Emacs or Kate (a KDE app, runs on Gnome just fine and
> available also on Ubuntu.) If you're doing serious editing, I would
> suggest a text editor specifically designed for that.

My editing is probably categorized among the simple tasks in most
cases, and I use GEdit because it is simple, starts reasonable fast
and still has some nice features. I like Emacs very much, and I use it
now and then, but I am not 100% convinced about their philosophy… and
all the funny keyboard shortcuts… I am just not used to them yet…
I actually used Emacs quite a lot between 1986 and 1993 or so (as a
student at a university). In the beginning on a Primos system (PR1ME
750, I think), later on Unix. With Primos we had no Internet, but when
they throw their machine out and got a Unix machine they also
connected to Internet and I used Emacs a lot for playing MUD and also
for IRC, which was a very new thing at that time.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg