running windows boot partition in ubuntu

Pierre Frenkiel pierre.frenkiel at laposte.net
Sat Feb 13 18:17:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Jirka wrote:

> Yes. It is possible. With VirtualBox.
> http://mesbalivernes.blogspot.com/2008/01/virtual-box-booting-from-existing.html
   Hi Jirka,
   thanks for that very useful information.
   I used the install method decribed at this URl, under the root account,
   and it works like a charm.
   I discovered that the access to the host disks is much easier than with the usual
   virtualbox using the .vdi encapsulated file: once you share the / of the host,
   you have immediate acces to all directories under it, including usb mounted drives.

   The only problem I had was that I could not do the install under my own account.
   The last line for that case seems rather funny:

   "There could also be an issue regarding the write permssions on your
    "hard drive" if you want to run your Virtual Machine as a standard
    user. You might need a chmod 777 /dev/sda with /dev/sda unmounted."

    It's not /dev/sda  which may be mounted, but /dev/sda1, and the 777 mode seems
    curious. ANyway, I tried with 666 and 777 on /dev/sda /dev/sda1, and none worked
    under my account.

--
Pierre Frenkiel