cups user authentication for remote users: make it ask for a password!

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 13 04:21:31 UTC 2010

> Ubuntu Print Server  (running on my desktop) makes the printer
> available on the subnet. I need that so I can print from my laptop.
>
> It does not provide a way for me to keep out other users on the subnet.
>
> Anybody who has a print client that can scan the subnet will see my
> printer and can send jobs to it.
>
> I agree with you that the user identity option in Ubuntu's
> system-config-printer is intended for local users on the desktop
> "server" system itself. And that's my point. There is no way to keep
> out other users on the subnet.
>
> Am I just reading all this wrong?  If so, tell me how to secure my
> desktop "print server" to stop neighbors on the network from sending
> jobs to me.  For the life of me, I can't see how to do it.
>
> I see where I could use iptables to block some IP addresses, but since
> my PC is on DHCP, and it could get any different number, that's
> impractical.
>
> pj

You can alter /etc/cuspd.conf to deny access to anyone you don't want
printing from your subnet
There also is a way to make the cups server silent so it does not
broadcast its presence. I don't
remember where but you use to have to turn it on if you wanted it. It
should be in the CUPS manual somewhere

below is a link with inforamtion on the cupsd.conf file. Be sure to make
a copy before you play with it.

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html

             Linda