cups user authentication for remote users: make it ask for a password!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 6 03:56:42 UTC 2010

On 02/05/2010 07:19 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 02/03/2010 11:02 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> I can't understand cups configuration for a network server.  I want to
>>> print from my laptop to my desktop, and it works fine to enable
>>> sharing in cups.
>>>
>>> However, that makes my desktop printer available to everybody on the
>>> subnet.  There does not appear to be a way to specify "all users on my
>>> desktop computer" plus "paul on a remote system when he gives a
>>> password". The cups user control thing seems to have no password
>>> authentication framework.
>>
>> I think you are mixing references to 'network server' vs desktop
>> attached printer?
>>

> Well, I don't think I'm confusing the two. I think they are ACTUALLY
> the same.  My desktop computer is running CUPS and is acting as a
> print server.

OK.

> Observe the doc you refer me to
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu
>
> Ubuntu Print Server  (running on my desktop) makes the printer
> available on the subnet. I need that so I can print from my laptop.
>
> It does not provide a way for me to keep out other users on the subnet.
>
> Anybody who has a print client that can scan the subnet will see my
> printer and can send jobs to it.

Not if you turn off sharing and connect directly using ipp as I've
already advised. Give it a try eh? And if it doesn't work I'm happy to
take emails off list.

> I agree with you that the user identity option in Ubuntu's
> system-config-printer is intended for local users on the desktop
> "server" system itself. And that's my point. There is no way to keep
> out other users on the subnet.

Sure there is, just use the gui properties as I've suggested; see below.
>> In System|Printer|Properties|Access Control you can 'Deny printing for
>> everyone except these users'. Alternately, you can simply turn off
>> shareing and use the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) to access the
>> printer remotely. IPP supports encryption & compression[1].

Do you not know, nor have the path/ip to your desktop? Obviously you do
otherwise you wouldn't be able to access the desktop/server/printer via
your laptop on the network & wouldn't be complaining about the above
being available to all on the same network. So figure out the proper
path/name/ip to the desktop, turn off sharing, enable ipp (that's port
631) on the router and/or ask your sysadmin to enable via port
forwarding, and print.