Installation problem with kubuntu 9.10 (probably also other 9.10 versions)

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Thu Feb 11 16:40:30 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to install kubuntu 9.10 on a new system with an Asrock
> G41MH-GE motherboard.  I have various Ubuntu 9.10 versions on three
> other computers around here and didn't have any issues with them.
>
> What happens is that the CD boots OK and I get the selection menu, I
> select "Install Kubuntu" and it starts OK but after only a short while
> it dies with a "Call Trace" and a series of messages starting with i915.
>
> What can I try to diagnose and/or workaround this?
Without you providing the actual error messages it's hard to say.
Here's a suggestion: Start with normal ubuntu. It might be KDE. One of
my Asus desktops have a VIA chipset which causes similar errors. The
bug I raised is still unresolved, which is similar to this one.
Apparently the cheap on-board card cannot handle compiz but it gets
turned on and crashes at that point. There is a blacklist of dodgy
chipsets to prevent this from happening but mine appears not to be
there. Outstanding since 9.04 early alpha. It works perfectly fine
with Gnome.

If you don't want to install Gnome, you can start by installing the
server version and then installing kubuntu via apt-get. At least by
that time you would have a working server which you can login and pull
the Xorg log out.