Installation problem with kubuntu 9.10 (probably also other 9.10 versions)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Feb 11 16:32:11 UTC 2010

I'm trying to install kubuntu 9.10 on a new system with an Asrock
G41MH-GE motherboard.  I have various Ubuntu 9.10 versions on three
other computers around here and didn't have any issues with them.

What happens is that the CD boots OK and I get the selection menu, I
select "Install Kubuntu" and it starts OK but after only a short while
it dies with a "Call Trace" and a series of messages starting with i915.

What can I try to diagnose and/or workaround this?

--
Chris Green