Your own Ubuntu server in the cloud

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:40:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 09/02/2010 14:16, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
>>> Furthermore, what is to stop you from running
>>> your own server in the cloud? I do that today.
>>>
>> Really in the cloud? Or just regular hosting in a regular datacenter?
>> Are you using AWS? Amazon seems to be the most popular solution for cloud
>> computing.
>>
>> I currently have a server in a datacenter, but I'm thinking about setting
>> up a backup server in AWS.
>>

> The problem when you have your own server in the cloud is that you don't
> know who has plugged logical probes on the data / address busses of the
> machine your code is running on and who is snooping the data transfers
> and intercepting all your valuable, sensitive, confidential data.
>
> You can encrypt it in storage... but homomorphic encryption isn't a
> reality yet, so you can't process it while keeping it encrypted in RAM
> and in CPU...
>
> Heck, you don't even know if the CPU you are running it on is physical
> or virtualized in software and completely open to even software tapping...
>
> Gilles.

Agreed, but at some point you must understand that if someone is
willing to pay enough, you can be bugged and all your data broken.
What keeps most of us safe is being better protected that the crowd
and not looking like a good target. If you work for the CIA, you have
bigger problems that most and need to worry about your house computer
being photographed and replaced with a bugged, at the chip level,
computer. The rest of us can sit back and relax with good, basic above
MS standard protection. Did you read about the hardware computer
encryption being broken this week?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100208/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_crypto_chip_cracked

--
Douglas E Knapp