Your own Ubuntu server in the cloud

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Feb 9 13:28:37 UTC 2010

Hi!

On 09/02/2010 14:16, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
>> Furthermore, what is to stop you from running
>> your own server in the cloud? I do that today.
>>
> Really in the cloud? Or just regular hosting in a regular datacenter?
> Are you using AWS? Amazon seems to be the most popular solution for cloud
> computing.
>
> I currently have a server in a datacenter, but I'm thinking about setting
> up a backup server in AWS.

The problem when you have your own server in the cloud is that you don't
know who has plugged logical probes on the data / address busses of the
machine your code is running on and who is snooping the data transfers
and intercepting all your valuable, sensitive, confidential data.

You can encrypt it in storage... but homomorphic encryption isn't a
reality yet, so you can't process it while keeping it encrypted in RAM
and in CPU...

Heck, you don't even know if the CPU you are running it on is physical
or virtualized in software and completely open to even software tapping...

Gilles.