[gnome] edit name of "Applications" menu?

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Tue Feb 9 03:21:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:49:35 -0800, =JeffH wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to rename my applications menu from
> "Applications" to "Apps" in order to (hopefully) get the "main menubar"
> applet to take up less real estate in my panel. (thus I also will want
> to edit the name of the "System" menu to e.g. "Sys")
>
> As far as I can determine, "applications.menu" is the requisite file,
> and on my Karmic 9.10 system it lives in...
>
>    /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
>    /home/hodges/.config/menus/applications.menu
>    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/applications.menu
>
> ..and has this (single) associated .directory file..
>
>    /usr/share/desktop-directories/X-GNOME-Menu-Applications.directory
>

> I do not have XDG_CONFIG_HOME nor XDG_CONFIG_DIRS nor XDG_DATA_DIRS set
> in my environment, thus AFAICT from "GNOME Desktop System Administration
> Guide", the applications.menu file in ~/.config as well as the
> .directory file in /usr/share/desktop-directories ought to be the
> requisite files to edit.
>
> I did so, changing  <Name>Applications</Name>  to  <Name>Apps</Name> in
> /home/hodges/.config/menus/applications.menu,
>
> as well as changing  Name=Applications  to  Name=Apps in
> /usr/share/desktop-directories/X-GNOME-Menu-Applications.directory.
>
> BUT, my "Applications" menu remains named "Applications" (after logging
> out and back in), rather than "Apps". Later tonight or tomorrow I'll try
> a reboot, but I have some other stuff I have to do right now.
>
> Any clues as to what's going on and how I can successfully make these
> changes are very welcome.

http://tuananh.me/2009/12/a-complete-guide-to-customize-gnome-panel.html

I think the names are hardcoded in the gnome-panel binary (could be wrong
about that), but the website listed above used a trick with text
translations used to localize the messages that apps display into the
user's preferred language. Basically, the idea is to translate English
"Applications" into whatever string you choose.

--
sktsee