installing XP

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 10:38:35 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 21:35 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On 07-02-10 16:51, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > Looks like the wifes laptop is on the way to a major repair so we will
> > be sharing for a while.  She insists on using windows.  When I install
> > XP it will windows wipe the entire disk, forcing me to reinstall?  Any
> > way to save any of my ubuntu settings?  I do not have an external
> > drive with me but I do have a CD-DVD rw drive.
[snip]
> How about installing VirtualBox, and WinXP as a guest in a virtual
> machine? After all, your wife is a guest on your computer too! ;-)

I'd give a +1 to the virtualbox idea... It would make it 'easier' on
you, so you dont have to do the whole backup/repartition/install/fixgrub
etc... and have to fix whole mess again when you need to remove the
windows install. In addition, you can actually add a VirtualBox GDM
'session' to log in with, so you could make your wife an account, and
have her log in by selecting a 'Windows XP' session, which would
immediately load an XP virtual machine. Check out this thread:
With emphasis on these posts:
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5491694&postcount=1
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5702664&postcount=12

Best of luck!